Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thankful ...

Over the past few days, I have been fighting a bad cold, stayed in bed all weekend, and in general started to get a bad mood about everything in life at the moment. Well today, I dragged myself out of my sick stupor to go to a cardiology appointment and shopping with my Dad. Different things throughout the day made me realize how good I have it, helped put things into perspective, and made me feel a little better ... even though my head still feels like it's going to explode!

First of all, my Dad has to have his internal defibrillator replaced next Tuesday. They have to place new leads, a new unit, the works - so prayers would be appreciated for a simple, non-eventful procedure, as things generally seem to get complicated with him! Attending this appt. today, the cardiologist reminded us that it has been 15 years since my Dad's first major heart attack. 15 years ago right now, we were in a hospital 6 hours away from home, at his bedside, hoping he'd make it to the next day.

So to start the list off, I'm thankful to still have my Daddy ... thankful to be able to hug him, to tell him I love him, and thankful to still have him there to bail me out of sticky situations! :)

On the way home Dad and I started talking about the economy, and how bad it's really getting. It made me think that I am extremely thankful to be in a career that I not only love, but one that will always be in demand. I am thankful to have a job I can basically count on to always be there.

Now having gone to school for 8 years, you can imagine what a hefty student loan bill I racked up! I got a few of those notices in the mail today, telling me it's time to start repaying! But as I grumbled to myself, I remembered how thankful I am for that education - and student loans or not, I wouldn't take it back. And I'm thankful that I have a job where I can at least get by on minimum payments for now!

This is getting longer than I had planned - I'm a rambler, so instead of the short list I was expecting to write it became paragraph form! Just one more thing ...

As I sit and listen to Christmas music, with the glow of our Christmas tree and garland brightening up the living room, looking at the nativity scene with Baby Jesus so carefully placed in the middle of the scene, I am so very thankful for the miracle of Christmas.

'Tis the season, as they say - and today was my day to remember the true spirit of the Christmas season - and be thankful for everything I have and everything I have been blessed with.

What are you most thankful for today?

No comments: